Traveling By Car: Top 7 Things To Have For Your Road Trip
The Top 7 Things To Bring on a Road Trip
Things you will want to have if you are spending a few days in the car
While traveling by car isn’t always the preferred method, it is something that just about all of us do at least once in our lives, and for some of us we do it a lot more often. While we always pack the car with all kinds of provisions and things we think we might use or need, we always seem to forget something or wish we had brought something. While this is such a broad topic, I am just going to include my must have’s but feel free to add yours in the comments, I know our readers will appreciate it as road trips is just one of the things where just about all of us can use all of the help we can get.
7) A Garbage Bag- I am not talking about the 50 gallon Hefty here, I am talking about just a simple small garbage bag. We all like to munch on things and we all seem to always wish we had a place to put stuff, and a garbage bag is usually that place. Also, nothing is worse than a car full of old garbage when you are sitting in it for what could be a few days.
6) Ziploc Bags – So you open that bag of potato chips less than five minutes into the trip and you dig in. Then you open the jumbo size bag of almonds. You are feeling kind of thirsty so you crack open a soda. You then realize the bag of almonds is laying on its side as the vibrations from the car slowly distribute them out of the bag like a lawn seed spreader. You can never have too many Ziploc bags in a few different sizes.
5) Phone Charger – This one is pretty much a given as the longer you are in the car, the more likely you are going to watch that battery level meter on your cell phone continue to go down. You can get car adapters that work with a USB connection for next to nothing these days at just about any drugstore.
4) Books on Tape – I know, tapes are just about obsolete these days but you can get books on your MP3 player or on CD’s as well. I never seem to have enough time to read as much as I would like and there always seems to be a cool new book that everyone but me has read. I have a lot of hours to kill, this is always a good time for me to catch up on this stuff.
3) Satellite Radio – I was one of the early adopters to satellite radio and I honestly have never looked back. I haven’t listened to a local radio station in years and I honestly haven’t even thought about it. From comedy to self-help to sports to any kind of music you want, they have it all.
2) AAA/ Your Car Company's Roadside Assistance Program – Hey I know what you are thinking, I never use that thing and I pay for it every year. Hey, I feel the same way but at the same time it’s like carrying around an umbrella when the weatherman says rain and there isn’t a cloud in the sky, you never need it until you need it. And when you need it, you are really glad to have it.
1) Cash – Seems like a no brainer but to be honest, I think I go to an ATM about once a month at most to get cash these days, it seems that everywhere takes credit and debit cards. I am sure I am not the only person who has ever come across the old “Cash Only” sign at the only clean place to eat for miles. To top it off some of those places do have an ATM for your convenience, that also happen to charge some of the largest ATM fees on the planet.