Pet Care: Top 7 Tips for Traveling With Pets
Topics: Pet Travel
Top 7 Tips For Traveling with Pets
Making Your Pet's Vacation a Happy, Healthy, and Safe One
While some people are willing to put their pet into a boarding facility, others prefer to take their four-legged family member along for the ride. Before you head out on your next trip, check out our top 7 tips for traveling with pets to make your journey more enjoyable for everyone.
7. Pack All Their Favorite Things - Make sure you take your pet's favorite food and toys to help them feel more comfortable. Pack extra food to make sure you have enough, just in case it isn't available where you are going.
6. Secure Your Pet in the Car - Many pet owners allow their pet to roam free in the car. This isn't safe for your pet or you. Properly restrain your pet throughout the trip, either in a crate in the back of the car or with a seat belt designed for pets.
5. Stop Often - Just like you need breaks, your pet will need breaks along the way. Make frequent stops to allow them to do their business, eat something and get a drink. Your pet will be happier and healthier with frequent stops.
4. Take Some Trial Runs - If your pet isn't used to spending time in the car, try a few shorter trips first. Start with driving around the block and extend the rides out to ensure your pet is used to the car and his restraints.
3. Bring Vet Records - Getting a checkup for your pet before you travel is a must. While you are there, ask for vet records to take along. This will expedite any medical care your pet may need far from home.
2. Keep Water in the Car - Pets can easily become dehydrated when riding in the car. Bring along plenty of water and a pet-friendly drinking container for drinks on the go.
1. Watch Your Pet's Cues - Your pet will let you know if he is uncomfortable. Watch their cues so you can offer comfort or other solutions to put them at ease.