The Outdoors: Top 7 Hiking Trails in the World
Top 7 Hiking Trails In The World
Love The Outdoors? Try These Hikes
Hiking is one of the best ways to experience the serenity and beauty of the natural world. Although the Earth has countless excellent hiking opportunities, here are seven that stand out above the rest.
7. Kungsleden, Sweden - Located 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle, the Kungsleden trail is one of Europe's last wild places. Kungsleden means "king" in Sweden, and hikers who've experienced understand why the trail was given this name.
6. Petra Through the Back Door, Jordan - Almost otherworldly, this trek takes hikers through ancient stairways carved out of red rock, the prehistoric city of Dana, and authentic oases.
5. Grindelwald, Switzerland - Known for its fairy tale scenery, the Swiss Alps are a favorite of high summer hikers. This hike features alpine meadows full of flowers, Swiss chalets, and incredible sunsets.
4. Chilkoot Trail, Alaska and Canada - Almost as rich in history as it is in natural beauty, this trail was blazed by those in the throes of gold rush fever back in the late 1800s. Relics line the sides of the trail where they were left by exhausted gold seekers that often walked through this pristine back country in winter.
3. Tonquin Valley, Canada - The Tonquin Valley lies deep in the heart of the Canadian Rockies in the province of Alberta. Alpine rivers and meadows accent the valley's natural splendor.
2. Bays of Fire, Australia - Beach lovers will be enthralled when hiking Tasmania's Bay of Fire. Coves, giant granite boulders, and surreal rock formations provide scenery seen nowhere else on Earth.
1. Cordilla Vilcabamba, Peru - Alpine lakes, glaciers, remote villages, luxuriant forests, and tropical orchards are all waiting for adventurous hikers. The mysterious ruins of Machu Picchu will bring out anyone's inner archeologist.