NYC Museums - Top 7 Museums in New York City
The Top 7 Museums in New York City.
The best places to soak up culture & art.
There are more than 125 museums in New York City’s five boroughs. We hope you get to visit the institutions on our Top 7 list.
7. The Cloisters: If you’re interested in the art and architecture of medieval Europe, we suggest you visit The Cloisters, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
6. Brooklyn Museum: We recommend you visit this art museum in Brooklyn, one of the largest art institutions in the world. The museum’s permanent collections range from Egyptian sarcophagi to contemporary art.
5. Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum: Include this military museum, located in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan, on your vacation in New York City. Among the exhibits we recommend you not miss are the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier, the space shuttle Enterprise, the submarine Growler and a British Airways Concorde.
4. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum: You’ll see painting and photography exhibits in this museum designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Don’t miss the ongoing exhibit dedicated to the creation of the museum, the first structure in New York City designed by the architect. You’ll also want to see the paintings by Vincent van Gogh, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Camille Pissarro, Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet, Edouard Manet , Paul Gauguin and Paul Cézanne in the Thannhauser Collection.
3. American Museum of Natural History: You’ll need an entire day to see the exhibits in this museum, one of the world’s largest, located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. We recommend you visit the series of fossil halls, including the two dinosaur halls and the wing containing exhibits of mammals and their extinct relatives.
2. Museum of Modern Art: The best museum in the world in which to view modern art is located in Midtown Manhattan. You’ll enjoy seeing the many types of media in which contemporary and modern art is presented.
1. Metropolitan Museum of Art: When you visit Manhattan, you must visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the largest art museum in the US, and the tenth largest in the world. You won’t want to miss the 800 objects on display in the 11 Arms and Armor galleries or the 26,000 pieces on display in the 39 rooms containing Egyptian art.